Friday, February 12, 2016

February 1, 2016 Josh Mission update: exchange between father missionary and son missionary


Josh:  Dad i have a question. What was the most important thing you did on your mission? Like how are we to follow all the rules with exact obedience and be kind. My comp is always asking me for money and it is such a burden because im always like no dude you need to bring your own money. But in preach my gospel it says we are supposed to develop christ-like attributes such as kindness. And i almost always get pissed at my companion when he doesn`t want to work. How am i supposed to be kind to him and get him to work. We have baptisms but we can be even better. I don't know i guess im just asking you what kind of missionary were you. Thanks dad love you

Dad: 
Josh, I miss you a ton son.  I have your picture up on my laptop screen saver.  

 I have been contemplating your questions all week.  I think I have shared this before, but literally the biggest thing that I did that made me learn so much was I wrote in my journal almost every night and I would go back and read what happened a month ago and further back.  I didn’t repeat the same bad patterns and I was able to grow so fast.  And, most importantly I was able to see by reflecting like this how involved Father in Heaven was involved in every detail of my life and ready to help.  My knowledge in the gospel and operation of the Holy Ghost became very powerful.  It set up a wave that has literally carried me thus far in my life. I received a blessing from my first mission president right before he went home and he gave me his little book of Hymns that he carried his whole mission.  I have realized the fulfillment of that blessing here in Phoenix.  I wrote that blessing down.  It burned into my brain and heart.  That is an example of how that discipline in my mission still blesses me to this day.

As it relates to your companion and relationships.  The best thing you can do is just be a good example and follow the Spirit.  The Lord will not punish you for being obedient and your companion is not.  That simply becomes your challenge and blessing-to convert him through patience, long suffering etc..https://www.lds.org/scriptures/nt/gal/5.22?lang=eng#21  Galatians 5.    Focus your efforts on being a good example for him.  The adversary wants you to think that YOU are failing because your companion is not obedient.  That is false.  Your companion has free agency.  And the Lord is aware of every detail and circumstance.  So you are not accountable for your companion’s disobedience if YOU are being a good example and loving him.  Yes, sometimes the spirit will compel you to be harsh with your companion to try to wake him up, but it should be followed with an increase of love….that formula can only be prescribed by the Spirit, so you have to make sure the Spirit is involved in that process.  Otherwise, just quietly continue to be a good example and PERSIST in reminders of good and right things that you two should be doing and why….finding and helping other children of our Father in Heaven.  When your companion see’s you being selfless, and COMMITTED to that, then it becomes contagious…he will catch it, and he will anxiously engage.

Te amo, te quiero mucho hijo!

Your Mexican Father.

Dad.



Josh:
Thanks mom you are the best! Brock is such a loving person what a stud! I have been thinking about you guys a lot this week. It has been really hard. We are being blessed with a couple baptisms but we can feel the adversary trying his hardest to work against us. We had a lesson with a gay guy who has an incredible testimony his only problem is this temptation. Another lesson we had someone was shot and killed in front of the house we were in down the street from our house. This place is kinda scary sometimes haha but I know I am being protected. I was praying a lot for Zach this week because I know how hard it can be to be a teenager and have all sorts of temptations. Watch out for him because you might not know if he is going through something. I was praying for brielle and brock to keep their sweet spirit they have and for emory to enjoy being really young haha. I was praying for you and dad to enjoy living in Arizona and to enjoy the wonderful home we have in arizona. I was praying for ollie that he could see well and not die because i want to see him when i get back haha. I love you guys so much i hope you are receiving blessings for my service!
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment